At some point, we all want to make a change in our lives. The same old routine starts to get monotonous, and you are so close to being able to do something different. The only problem is, you just don’t know where to start or what to do.
Here is that very source of inspiration that you are looking for. All of these items are actions that you can take almost immediately. Some are major and some are minor, but you never know what it will take to actually bring you that happiness that you are looking for.
- Quit Your Job: This is a pretty big item to start off with, but sometimes that is what it takes. If you don’t like where you work, then start looking for a new career, department, or company, and say goodbye to that old job.
- Start a Side Job: Side cash is the best. You can make a ton of extra cash, depending on what it is that you want to do. Buying and selling items on eBay, getting a second job doing something that you enjoy, teaching a skill that you have, all are great ways to make a smaller change in your career. Budgets Are Sexy has a great list of side jobs that people do to make some extra cash.
- Write a Blog: Starting a blog can be a great way to do something a little different. All you need is something that you are passionate about writing, a platform to do it, and a little hard work. I have previously written a short guide on how to start your very own WordPress site.
- Start Working For Your Passions: This is a little generalized, but the idea is timeless and simple. If you are not doing what you love, then why are you doing it in the first place?
- Ask for a Promotion or Raise: If you are a good employee, this should be a no brainer. You put in the long hours, the hard work, and the dedication to your company. I think it is time that you get a raise.
- Teach a Service: This is an easy one to do with services like Craigslist. If you are a guitar player, web developer, or have any other unique skill set, then you can offer to teach this service to others.
- Start a Nonprofit: This might be the most involved idea here, but it can also be the most rewarding. Nothing feels better than giving back to others, and nonprofit work might be the piece of your life that you are missing. Nolo will help guide you through the legal process towards starting your very own nonprofit.
- Begin Going to the Gym: This is the thing that you have told yourself you are going to do for the last 6 months but never have. Now is the time to begin.
- Cut Out Processed Sugars from Your Diet: An easy place to start. Try going a week without eating any processed sugar. Then make it two weeks. You will be amazed at how you feel after you do this.
- Eat Organic: Nothing beats an organic meal. You know that what you are eating has not been processed, isn’t full of GMOs, and is full of nutrients. Deliciously Organic has a great meal plan to help you do this.
- Cook Your Own Food: This will do two things. It will force you to stop eating unhealthy foods, and it will save you money. All you must do is schedule some time into your day to cook.
- Practice Meditation: Meditation might be the largest health trend of our time. Better focus and concentration, growth of grey matter in your brain, and clarity of mind are just a few benefits. Mindfulness in Plain English is the go-to guide for meditation, however The Calm Monkey is an amazing resource to begin your path towards happiness. Wendy teaches meditation in order to help people improve their daily lives.
- Do Yoga: Yoga goes great with meditation. It strengthens muscles, stretches your body, and keeps you healthy.
- Get a Deep Tissue Massage: Over time your muscles store up toxins that need to be released. If you have never had a deep tissue massage before, now is the time to start. 60 minutes of massage might be a little painful, but you are doing yourself wonders.
- Move to a New City: Maybe it takes a change of environment to fulfill your happiness. New cities are like a fresh start full of new opportunities and new people.
- Meditate: Yes, here it is listed a second time, but meditation can also help people find themselves and be happy with their lives. Again you can read Mindfulness in Plain English for a classic guide to meditation, or visit The Calm Monkey for a personalized approach.
- Write Down What You Are Thankful For: Each week, write down ten things that you are fortunate to have in your life. A little gratitude goes a long way.
- Contact Your Family and Friends: Call your mom and dad and say hi. Or maybe your brother or sister whom you haven’t spoken to in a while. It is always great to reconnect with family.
- Join a Club or Sports Team: Intramural clubs are a great way to boost your happiness and get in shape at the same time. You make new friends, get active, and do something that is fun!
- Make A New Friend: Humans are social animals. We love being around others, and get lonely when we go without human companionship. Go say hi to a new person.
- Volunteer In Your Community: Giving back feels great. Find a cause that you are passionate about and volunteer a little of your time each week. That way you will be making a difference. Volunteer Match is a great place to start.
- Join a Nonprofit: It might be easier to join a nonprofit than start one, as mentioned earlier. You will be working for something that you care about and you will feel amazing knowing that you are giving back.
- Keep Your Home Clean: A tidy home is a mind a rest. Just by keeping your space clean, you will have one more thing that you can cross off your to do list.
- Organize your Room: It is nice to know where everything in your room is. It might help you to just put things in their proper place or even buy some new furniture.
- Create a Space Where You Only Work: This can be very important. Find a room in your home or a space in your apartment that is only dedicated to working. This will help college students study, business owners work, and keep you from being distracted by the billions of websites out there.
- Reorganize Your Room to Fit You: This is kind of like practicing the art of Feng Shui. You can add new decorations, re-arrange, and shift the energy of your room or even entire home to change up the spot that you are living.
- Listen To a Ted Talk Each Day: The best way to learn is from others. Ted is one of the best places in existence to stay up to date on new technology, discoveries, and ideas.
- Read a New Book: Picking up a paperback book is becoming underrated. Read for twenty minutes a day to improve on a whole number of things. Not to mention that the greatest minds of history have written their experiences and knowledge for us to read and share. As always, Amazon is the best place for you to purchase a new book.
- Take a Free Online Course: There are a lot of courses online that have become free. Start Up Class by Stanford is a great place to learn how to start a business. Udemy has thousands of free lessons. You just need to decide to learn.
- Learn on Khan Academy: Khan Academy can literally teach you everything you need to know from kindergarten to some college courses. And it is free. What else is there to say?
- Find a Mentor: We learn best from what others have to teach us. Whatever it is you are passionate about, there is someone out there willing to teach you. Just go find them.
- Pick up an Instrument: Music makes the world go round. You could find a new passion or hobby by learning to play the guitar, piano, or any other instrument you have always wanted to learn.
- Teach Someone Something New: The best way to learn is to teach. Offer to start tutoring, teaching lessons, or giving your time to help others learn something new. You will be surprised what you learn yourself.
- Wake Up Earlier: If you want to get more done, give yourself time to get more done. The morning holds all sorts of time that you can use to your advantage.
- Schedule Your Day: Another productivity tip is to schedule your day. A simple planner is all it takes to keep your day focused. This is a link to the planner that I use each week to help schedule my time.
- Plan Your Week: A step further is to plan out each week. This gives you a snapshot of what your goals are and gives you space to plan for more.
- Learn to Better Concentrate: If you cannot focus on the task at hand, all of this planning doesn’t really do anything. You need to be able to get things done.
- List Your Priorities: What matters most to you? If you can decide what is most important, than you can use that to help focus better.
- Set a Budget: You would be surprised at how many people don’t budget. And I would guess that you are one of them. It doesn’t take much time, but it can change your life. Budgets are Sexy has multiple templates and tools you can use. Mint is also an invaluable resource.
- Save as Much as You Can: Put as much as you possibly can from your income into savings. The more you save, the closer you are to retirement.
- Quit Buying Things You Don’t Need: This kind of goes hand in hand with the previous idea. The less you spend, the more you save.
- Invest Your Money: Start learning about the stock market and find investments that you can be a part of.
- Set Financial Goals: What are you working and saving for? Do you want to retire at 50? Take a trip around the world at 25? You need to set a goal.
- Get a Side Job: Extra cash means extra leverage. Money is a tool and the more of it you have, the faster you will reach your financial goals.
- Change your Relationship Status: Sometimes it can be a good idea to leave people who are toxic in your life. If that person is not making you happy, then it could be time to leave.
- Date Someone Different: Do you have a type? Maybe you should date someone who is not your typical catch. Go date that nice guy, or the bad boy, or the athlete, or the geek. Just date someone different.
- Love Yourself: Before you can love others, you must first love yourself. You are the most important person in your life. Time to start treating yourself that way. I have covered the topic of love before in my article about self love.
- Communicate What You Want: Do you not clearly tell your partner what you want? Maybe that is why things are always confusing.
- Find Someone You Connect With: Instead of dating just for the sake of being in a relationship, try dating someone you really connect with on a deeper level. You will find a lot more fulfillment.
There you have it. I am confident that you can find a few of the items off of this list to actually implement into your life. You have no excuses to make a change today, and I know you will find happiness doing some of these just as I have.
The end goal is to make some of these into habits that last you the rest of your life. Then you have truly changed as a person. I suggest you read 20 Daily Habits That Will Change Your Life for more information.